Re: Large security hole in SGI IRIX 5.2

Steve Robbins (steve@cim.mcgill.ca)
Fri, 10 Mar 1995 12:21:18 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 7 Mar 1995, Software Test Account wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Mar 1995, Christian A. Ratliff wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2 Mar 1995 14:03:03 -0500 (EST)  Larry Glaze wrote:

[ ... there's a huge gaping idiotic bug in IRIX's
  /usr/lib/desktop/permissions ... ]

> >   The hole comes from the authentication being at the _dirview_ (an SGI
> > directory browser) level. You can only pull up 'permissions' when the menu
> > item is not grayed out. If you run 'permissions' by hand, you eliminate
> > that check and have root access to the permissions on an file.
> >   Turning the setuid/setgid bit off is a perfectly sensible solution to
> > this problem, and it is beyond me why that wasn't the default permissions.
> >

> I attempted to verify this problem on one of our SGI IRIX 5.2 boxes and
> found that with or without the sgid/suid bits set and from dirview or
> from the command line -- the permissions routine prompts you for a name
> and password of a priveledged user.

Yeah, but it changes the modes on the target file *BEFORE EVEN ASKING FOR
THE PASSWORD* (if you double click 'apply').  And it doesn't care if you
enter the wrong password!

--
                Steve Robbins -- Consultant in Computerology
                         steve@cim.mcgill.ca